Wednesday, October 8, 2008

When pride comes, then comes disgrace


This weekend at our annual men's conference and the theme this year was about sexual purity and purity of the eyes. We had an incredible time with the 32 men that were able to come this year.

I thought i might write a couple of things down that really impacted my life.

1. As men we owe our wives. Yea, they deal with our junk, deal with the kids, and deal with the house, but, as Pastor Mike said this weekend, they gave up their freedom to be with us. That so does not compute in my brain of how and why my wife would give up her freedom for this joker. I don't deserve that.

2. As I was doing my devotional on Friday morning I began to read Proverbs 3 when I began to break and cry. Verse 7 and 8 jumped right off the page at my heart and God began to deal with my heart.

"Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones." Pro. 3:7-8

I've never seen the connection between being prideful and fearing the Lord like this before. I knew pride was bad and God opposes those who are but it was just the wording of that verse that really showed how prideful I was. I was(am) always a person that always relied on my natural abilities to do things for the Lord and now realize that I was(am) a banging cymbal, or worse, one of who the Lord stands opposed to. To imagine that God was opposed to my way of life was absolutely unbearable. But thanks to the mercies of God that ARE new every morning He began to flood my spirit with his love. I thank God for the talents and abilities He has given to me but I only want to be used for Him and His glory so that that His name might be made known and not mine.

I hope some how that I never forget this lesson. Amen.



1 comment:

Pastor Mike said...

Praise God Carlos! It is only when God reveals His word to us that we are changed. As some would say,PRICELESS!